Case Study 1: Examining Emotions, Attitudes, and Job Satisfaction
Due Week 3 and worth 100 points
Emotional Intelligence (EI) focuses on understanding the emotions and attitudes of others. To manage relationships effectively, we need to not only understand ourselves, but also increase what we know about others. EI emphasizes four key competencies for leadership success:
- Self-awareness–the ability to understand our own emotions and how they impact others
- Social awareness–the ability to understand the emotions of others
- Self-management–the ability to think before acting
- Relationship management–the ability to build rapport with others
Grasping the realities of organizational behavior begins with an understanding of personality and behavioral tendencies. Case Study 1 is designed to address issues pertaining to the emotions, attitudes, and job satisfaction of others. Read the “Trader Joe’s” case study on page W-99 in the back of your textbook to examine how emotions, attitudes, and job satisfaction influence decision-making.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Examine the approach Trader Joe’s uses to promote a positive work environment for its employees. Determine at least three (3) ways in which Trader Joe’s is able to increase job satisfaction and performance.
- Determine how Trader Joe’s uses the management process (planning, organizing, leading, and controlling) to develop its employees.
- Suggest two (2) ways that leaders can effectively manage relationships in general by using the four (4) EI competencies.
- Recommend at least three (3) leadership practices that Trader Joe’s could implement in order to increase the competitive edge of the organization. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Use at least five (5) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze the relationship between the basic organizational behavior models of individual, group, and organizational processes and the productivity of an organization.
- Explore how individual differences, personality traits, and perspectives impact the productivity of an organization.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in organizational behavior.
- Write clearly and concisely about organizational behavior using proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric found here.