Write a 350-500 word topic proposal introducing the topic for your final project, which will be due in Week Nine. Your final project will be a slide presentation with speaker notes.
Choose a salient issue of controversy to explore from your community, the nation, or the world.
You must use at least two, and no more than three, philosophical approaches you learned in this course.
These include: Pre-Socratics, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Augustine, Dualism, Idealism, Materialism, Continental, Pragmatism, Analytic, Kant, Mill, Care Ethics, Social Contract, Classic Liberalism, Libertarianism, Marxism, Chinese, Japanese, India/Hindu, Feminist, or Post-colonialist.
You may employ them to show where you think they are correct or where they are incorrect, you may contrast them or show how both agree on a point. How you utilize these two or three perspectives is up to you.
Include the following in your proposal. You will use this information later in your slide show and speaker notes.
- Description of the issue of controversy.
- Discussion of how two or three philosophies or philosophers would describe the roots of the problem
- Discussion of the political or ethical theories that are in evidence in the controversy
- Your proposed solution to the problem based on the readings and your own research; would you use any of the philosophers or philosophies you chose?
- Description of why you think your approach would solve the problem better than current approaches
Find at least 2 peer-reviewed sources in the University Library and discuss in your proposal how those sources support or refute your opinions. The following are useful resources that are available on the Multimedia page of the University Library:
- Issues & Controversies
- Issues & Controversies in American History
- Global Issues in Context
Format your paper consistent with APA guidelines.